What is the meaning of maxillofacial?
Maxillofacial means jaws and face, which combines with mouth becomes the domain/area of specialization of oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
What is oral treatment/surgery?
This is a branch of dentistry which deals in diagnosing and surgically treating injuries, diseases, defects of jaws, mouth, face etc. This also includes dental implants, removing decayed teeth, biopsy and taking of cysts as well as tumors of jaw and mouth, treating facial trauma and jaw reconstruction.
What treatment/procedures are followed by oral and maxillofacial surgeon?
Oral and maxillofacial surgeons perform the following procedures/treatments:
- Placement of dental implants which replaces single/several teeth as well as entire teeth in the mouth. Dental implants are very comfortable and last for a long time than the conventional dentures.
- Reconstructive surgery which addresses injuries in lower, upper jaws of the soft and hard tissues which are the result of trauma, accident, long time of wearing dentures, tumor surgery.
- Treatment of maxillofacial infections. Such infections are diagnosed and then treated as they are very dangerous and can cause severe emergencies if not treated properly, timely and effectively.
- Treating injuries to face, teeth, mouth, jaws caused because of trauma. Surgeons are expert to treat trauma which also includes upper and lower fractures of the jaws and orbit.
- Surgeries to correct facial and oral deformities due to difference in the skeletal growth between lower and upper jaws, congenital disorders(such as palate, cleft lip) which is the result of improper growth of oral nasal cavity at the time of fetal development.
- Surgeons are capable of reconstructing facial structure, hence can perform facial cosmetic procedures in their office.
How important is it to be board certified in oral and maxillofacial surgery?
One should graduate from accredited school of dentistry and completed program of oral and maxillofacial surgery which is passed by ADA. It requires 13 years of training and education .ADA recognizes a board for oral and maxillofacial surgery which has the responsibility to review all the applicants that need board certification. The board also administers examinations for the certification process. There is written as well as oral examination ,and when one clears both then only he is certified as diplomate by the board. Diplomates are motivated to continue education to improve their skills.
Does the treatment require x-rays?
X-rays are always taken before the treatment begins as it gives a clear picture of the disorder in the teeth or the bones.